Sunday, July 13, 2014

New Review: Cindy Nord’s NO GREATER GLORY – Civil War Romance Rich in Historic Detail

A well-researched debut novel with considerable detail of the various battles around Virginia, this is a romance for those who like to become very involved in the Civil War.

Set from 1862 to 1865, it tells the story of Emaline McDaniels, a widow trying to hold onto her Virginia plantation, Shapinsay. Then Colonel Reece Cutteridge, a Union officer, shows up to requisition her home and her livestock to winter and feed his troops. Despite her disdain for the Union, Emaline finds herself assisting the Union doctor and nursing the colonel’s men, all the while fighting an attraction to their commander. Reece, who lost his wife and child, resists Emaline, too, but quickly finds himself falling in love with her. Separated by war, they will find themselves brought together by fate.

Nord describes what it was like to hold a plantation on the edge of war with intruding soldiers, deserters and miscreants all trying to steal what is not theirs. And in the midst of all that, a love between two people on opposite sides. Reece is a strong, capable leader of men. Emaline is a sympathetic Southern woman. Though some parts of the book seemed more like historical fiction than romance, the love story taking a back seat to the war, history fans will love it!

2 comments:

  1. REGAN!! Oh my gosh, thank you so much for such a lovely review of NO GREATER GLORY, book one of my four-book The Cutteridge Series. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Reece & Emaline's hard-won journey to happily ever after & delighted to share that NGG was the #1 Civil War Romance at Amazon for nearly a year. 'Tis also a USA Today Lifeblog 'Recommended Read' - I swear somebody better pinch me! WITH OPEN ARMS, book two in the series, debuts August 5th & I'll be keepin' folks abreast of all my upcoming writing adventures at www.cindynord.com - or readers of historical romance can come on over & chat with me at my M-F morning 'Coffee Klatch' at my FB page where I share all kinds o' historical tidbits, etc. We have loads o' fun. Again, much thanks, sweetie!! ♥ ... Warmest regards ~ Cindy Nord

    ReplyDelete