Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What I Learned About Love From Reading Romance Novels

There is much to be gained from reading romance novels—more than just a good story to curl up with on a rainy night. For those of us who love the sweeping historical sagas, there can be lessons in love as well as history. If I ever write a book about this, the list below may well be my chapter titles (I’d have illustrations, of course). For now, here’s the skinny version of what I have learned about love from reading romance novels:

1. Love is worth fighting for.

2. Love is worth waiting for.

3. Loving someone means being vulnerable; sometimes it means pain.

4. The most difficult person may be the most perfect for you.

5. Men of great character are secure enough to choose a strong, successful
woman.

6. In great strength is great gentleness when accompanied by unselfish love.

7. When a man is jealous and protective, it may mean he cares.

8. Absence really does make the heart that loves grow fonder.

9. Making up often requires asking forgiveness.

10. To know all is to forgive much.

11. We are all a product of our beginnings so it is important to tell our story.

12. A single conversation can reveal the heart.

13. Life’s challenges require us to change and to grow if we are to love deeply
and unselfishly.

14. It is important to say “I love you” with words as well as actions.

15. Making love with the person you love can be more than physically satisfying;
it can be a beautiful expression of love.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well thought through list, Regan. I can probably name at least one romance I've read written about each item on your list. Further, when I'm plotting a novel I rely on the 60 years of my marriage to provide plot points instead of doing outside research. My husband and I have lived through most of these situations and come through each one, our love still in tact and each of us stronger for having weathered the storm together.

    Toni Noel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni,
      I am sure your novels are richer for what you share. Check back with my blog tomorrow as I review a book inspired by a 65-year happy marriage!

      Delete
  3. Great list Regan!!! :)

    I think when you read romances, you really start to understand how brave you need to be in order to allow your defenses down to love someone... Love isn't for cowards. You have to be brave and strong to trust someone with your heart...

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am adding "Love isn't for cowards" to my list...just because of you, Lisa. Great comment!!

      Delete