Thursday, February 14, 2013

What I Learned About Love from Reading Romance Novels


There is much to be gained from reading romance novels—more than just a good story to curl up with on a rainy night. For those of us who love the sweeping historical sagas, there can be lessons in love as well as history. If I ever write a book about this, the list below may well be my chapter titles. For now, here’s the skinny version of what I have learned about love from reading romance novels:

1. Love is worth fighting for.

2. Love is worth waiting for.

3. Loving someone means being vulnerable; sometimes it means pain.

4. The most difficult person may be the most perfect for you.

5. Men of great character are secure enough to choose a strong, successful woman.

6. In great strength is great gentleness when accompanied by unselfish love.

7. When a man is jealous and protective, it may mean he cares.

8. Absence really does make the heart that loves grow fonder.

9. Making up often requires begging forgiveness.

10. To know all is to forgive much.

11. We are all a product of our beginnings so it is important to tell our story.

12. A single conversation can reveal the heart.

13. Life’s challenges require us to change and to grow if we are to love deeply and unselfishly.

14. It is important to say “I love you” with words as well as actions.

15. Making love with the person you love can be more than physically satisfying; it can be a beautiful expression of love.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said, Regan. I tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ella! I found the list illuminating. And it made me realize why the books we write resonate with women's hearts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I forget to repost this every now and then. I have a few other posts like it that I consider timeless. When this list occurred to me it helped me see the real value of romance novels to us women.

      Delete
  3. Love this. Very perceptive observations. I will definitely keep this list.

    ReplyDelete