Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Elizabeth Kingston’s DESIRE LINES – A Keeper of a Medieval Romance set in 13th-century Wales

October on Historical Romance Review is Medieval month, one of my favorite subgenres. I’m starting with a new favorite author, Elizabeth Kingston and book 3 in her Welsh Blades series.

Gryff was a Welshman raised as a noble hostage in the Norman court. Now he hides his true identity, saying only that he is a falconer, while he flees from one danger to another, longing to return to his homeland. (The word “Hiraeth” comes up repeatedly, meaning the Welsh concept of longing for home.) Meanwhile, a beautiful woman, who is very good with knives, saves him from a pack of villains.

Nan has no doubt the ragged Welshman she has saved was born to better things, far different from the servant’s life she has led. For one thing, his speech is more proper. Nan has suffered much and was always saved by women. That part of the story is intriguing, I must say, and so well done.

Nan’s first priority is to find her younger sister, who was lost to her long ago. Alas, that will prove a disappointing task as Nan discovers they are now very different women.

Rich in history, this story reflects much research on England and Wales in the 13th century and on falconry and Wales’ part in raising the noble birds. It’s also very well told, capturing the medieval era perfectly. I love Kingston’s writing, the emotion in her characters and the complex motives that compel them forward to their fate.

This is definitely a keeper, a true love story of the genre and so much deeper than most. I guess you can say I loved it!  

1 comment:

  1. Medieval is not my prefered genre, but I agree 100% about this writers work. I've read and loved all 3 in Welch Blades series. Elizabeth Kingston's Ladies of Scandal (regency) series is very good also.
    I especially loved the opening pages of Welsh Blades #1 -The Kings Man- just amazing! The heros and heroines are complex, flawed and each one perfect for the circumstances Kingston throws at them.
    I suggest you sample the audiobooks. They were a special treat. The talented narrator breathes life into every character. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a Audible storyteller more.

    ReplyDelete