Monday, September 9, 2024

Judith McNaught’s SOMETHING WONDERFUL – Good Story but Something Needed in Second Half

This book held my attention and I do think McNaught can really write well. There's lots of sizzle in her romances and the love scenes are great. However, from this romance and Once and Always, the first of hers I read, it seems to me that she has trouble finding the right balance between a rake’s bad side and his ostensible love for the heroine. The point where the hero is struggling to admit he loves the heroine fails to convince. That is the case with this book.

Even if you can get over that, the plot that has a duke (Jordan) who is a total rake and quite content with his mistresses, marrying a country bumpkin (Alexandra) who saves his life, and his back and forth in his feelings for her, had me on a teeter totter.

The second half, particularly from the birthday party on, is not as believable as the rest and frankly was disappointing. The final scene that did it for me, however, was the one in the cottage where he is suddenly calling her a bitch and all his loving feelings seem to go out the window. (I have seen this in other McNaught books as well.) It just didn't seem like a valid response. Sadness at at a perceived betrayal yes, but his "over the top" anger after all they shared just didn't ring true for me. There are some issues, too, with details. For example, how is it the doctor says she is in a coma and dying and will soon be leaving them and then she's awake and talking.? I also agree with one reviewer who said her total physical change in a year from 18 to 19 was a bit unbelievable.

Still, with all this, it's an enjoyable book and as I said, she writes well. I just think some of her others are better.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment